Monday, February 23, 2015

All The Pretty Young Things


Oscar season was once my favorite time of year. Things change. Now I hardly know the nomineeds. I haven't seen the films. Not sure I care who wins. Not emotionally invested. The Academy seems very white, very old and very male to me.

I love to watch the gowns go by on the red carpet. You know, I like fashion. Fashion just doesn't like me.

And so it was a bit of a surprise to me when wome stirred up controversy on the red carpet last night. First there was this little bit of a move in the right direction. Thank you #askhermore and Reese Witherspoon. Nice to know these talented actresses are more than just coat hangers.

And then poor Patricia Arquette. She attempted to make a move in the right direction. She had J. Lo and Meryl Streep signed on to her cause and then she made a few slips of the tongue in the press room after collecting her prize. Does make her cause null and void? I hope not.

It's an intriguing time to be alive.

No comments: