Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Cat Doctor Is In

Goldie is home from the hospital. She is sleeping in her cup and lounging in the sun. Last night she went out into her garden and had a sip of water from her bowl. She even had a "kitten-ish" moment when she playfully chased a mosquito into the house.

I am incredibly grateful that I have a vet who "cares for cats and the people who love them." In front of the building that houses her practice is a park bench that is dedicated to "Apple Jack - The best guinea pig ever." When I asked her about it she said that Apple Jack was the "Methuselah of guinea pigs." She said at the end of his life, when Apple Jack's people were trying to make a decision about what to do, they wished they had a quiet place to sit and talk things over. So, they bought the bench so other pet owners would have a place to sit and come to a decision.

I am grateful that I have a vet who understands how hard it is for people to let go of the relationships they've built with their pets. More than that, Dr. Tracy actually consulted her colleague and together they did some online research to come up with an antibiotic cocktail that will help my Goldie breathe better a little while longer. In this day and age of managed healthcare, I'm shocked to find two medical professionals who care so much about what they do. Over any objects from my insurance company, I'm considering making Dr. Tracy my primary care physician...but those thoughts are for the future. Right now, I'm focused on making Goldie's days as comfortable as possible.

No comments: