Friday, October 24, 2008
It's time to add another candle to the cake to blow out. This year, Cinderella's thinking of just setting the whole damn cake on fire. I mean seriously, how did I get this old? I knew it happened to other people, but to moi? Tres tragic! I do think I have more to celebrate now that I'm a woman over 40. My mom once wisely told me that at some point birthdays change from being an embarrassment to a victory. I think she couldn't be more right on. I do know that I have found with each passing year that I become more nostalgic for symbols of my youth. I grew up in the 80s and have a soft spot in my heart for John Hughes' films. A filmmaker from Chicago he seemed to speak right to my Midwestern heart when he made films like "Sixteen Candles" about the high school ugly duckling who got Jake Ryan, the cutest boy in school, as her Prince Charming. Girls of my vintage wanted to play hooky with Ferris Bueller, and make-out with Andrew McCarthy in the stables at his very rich parents' Country Club. I thought John Hughes was a genius all the way up until "Uncle Buck". Whatever your dreams are...I hope you're pursuing them today and every day. That is my birthday wish today in the 45th year of my life.
Thursday, October 23, 2008
- It's that time of year when it's fun to sneak up on people and say, 'Boo!' If you want to really get into the mood of the season you can take ghostly tours in haunted places.
- Sarah Palin sold Alaska's airplane, but then she got all snippy when she couldn't have free access to someone else's plane. As if! I hope when the election is over...Sarah Palin gets to keep her expensive new wardrobe. She can think of it as a consolation prize. And I think that $2,500 Valentino jacket will look great underneath her Carhartts when the winter winds of Alaska start blowing....
- Reality to Sarah Palin...When the going gets tough...the tough go shopping in the hardware aisle.
- This is a Public Service Announcement! Do not send your grandchildren, who are calling you from Canada, thousands of dollars if you don't have grandchildren in Canada.
- He's the antidote to Sister Parish's sense of style. English Country Decor! Oh my!
- Quick! Somebody pitch this to Hollywood...James Bond and the President of the United States team up to save the world from total annihilation.
- Watch Chris Matthews do what he does best...make well-paid political spin masters wish that they worked at Dippin' Dots. What makes it even more pfun is that it's Republican flak-jacket Nancy Pfotenhauer.
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
- 'Women over the age of 45 feel unrecognized and unsupported.' I hope that doesn't come as a shock to anyone. I don't know about you, but I plan to do everything I can to fight that trend. Because I'm like a fine wine...I'm just getting better. But I don't want to be corked!
- Sarah Palin's academic career made no lasting impression. Really? You don't think it has anything to do with the fact that she the personification of style over substance. Very expensive style so it turns out. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Someone needs to give her directions to the 'clue bus' stop. This is getting ridiculous!
- 'Tis the most wonderful time of the year! I love Halloween. Here's some inspirational Jack o' lantern carvings to help put you in the mood.
- Check out how Ahnuld's mother-in-law lives. Hasta la vista, baby! I'm moving to Maryland. Okay, I'm moving after I raise the scratch to buy the house. Click on the thumbnail photos to get a good glimpse of the traditional interior decor and beautiful grounds around the estate. Yummy!
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
- He's the new must read in my Amazon.com cue. A friend of Dewey the small-town library cat who touched the world has written a book about his lifetime of escapades. And if you're on Facebook -- he has his own page.
- So maybe being 'the library donkey' doesn't have the same kind of romance about it that being 'the library cat' does. But all these years when I've dreamed of visiting the National Bibliotheque in Paris...I could've gone to Columbia and waited for the 'Biblioburro' to visit me.
- Today my MPBF (most precious best friend) and I are going to the Women's Conference. We're hoping to be empowered. We'll probably knock over a shoe store on the way home just to prove it.
- We're chicks over 40 and we're online! We don't have to wait for the kids to make something a trend -- we can go right out and get in the front of the line. Here are 18 things that you can add to your computer to make it work harder for you.
- Just in case you weren't already convinced that Barack Obama is a good man with his priorities in the right order. My prayers go out to his family during this bittersweet time. I don't know if this family crisis will change Obama's plannned 'SNL' appearance or not.
- Just what we needed -- a new poll to tell us that we're worried and angry...This didn't help much either.
Monday, October 20, 2008
- Faith Hill's determined to make 40 look good.
- Yesterday we went and saw a local community theatre production of "South Pacific." We had $12 orchestra seat -- eat your heart out Broadway -- because it was fantastic! The lead was our local Starbucks Barista -- and she hit it out of the park. And so did the Spanish guy they cast in the role of the old French dude. We had to warn everyone who was seated near us that we would be singing along throughout the show. (Kidding! We waited until we got in the car to screech out our painful duet of 'Some Enchanted Evening.') And then we went home and watched the Red Sox game. It was not as much fun. My panties were in a bunch from the fourth inning on. And in the end ,The World Series will have to wait...
- Just in case you were counting the days until your retirement. Stop it!
- "I never saw the dress," the bride said.
- Ratchet is on his way home.
- It's like a car wreck on the freeway. You promise yourself you're going to look the other way, but you can't.
- The Handsomest Man Alive and I try to alternate seeing testosterone-driven action films with an occasional chick flick. It adds a little variety to life. Here's a chick flick masquerading as an action film. You can get your man to go with you to see it...AND you won't have to cash in your chick flick voucher. How cool is that? In fact, he'll never even know that it is a chick flick...but with eye candy like Daniel Craig in the lead role, what else could it be?