Monday, September 22, 2014

I'm A Lover, Not A Fighter


I am not a complainer. Like my guru Tim Gunn is always saying, "I make it work."

I am a quiet book nerd who could go an entire day without speaking to anyone other than my husband or my cats and feel just fine. I don't like to rock the boat. I don't want to draw attention to myself, or be the life of the party.

So you can imagine what it took to make me use the following phrases in public last Thursday night.

Phrase Number One: "This is some bullshit."
Phrase Number Two: "This sucks ass."

I used them in rapid-fire succession while we were checking into the over-priced and under-decorated Delano Hotel in Las Vegas. We had planned three nights at Mandalay Bay, but when my husband got an email that we could upgrade to the snazzier-than-thou Delano for a very minimal fee, he took the opportunity.

On arrival, we were greeted by a lone valet. He was unable to find a bellman, any bellman to help us with our bags. There were however around twenty people dressed all in black (security) huddled around the front door. No one opened the door to help me as I struggled with my bags. Inside I found a rave going on. And I couldn't find the check-in desk. I was directed to go back outside. My husband and I spent the next fifteen minutes in the company of a UK businessman wandering around the parking garage looking for the hotel entrance. We finally found our way to the secret check-in desk location. 

When I asked to see a manager, I was directed to a gum-snapping, grooving to the music young woman two computers over. She was obviously not the manager. When my husband asked to see the manager, he was directed to a man who said he would "comp us something." We were never compensated in any way.

We went to the room. It was small and decorated in a cold, minimalist way that only a Cold War Russian could appreciate. We went back down stairs to get a drink and were told we couldn't get one without a wristband. Where do we get a wristband? 

"Dunno."

Back to the front desk. Here's your wristband. And here's a whole lotta attitude to go with it. This is where the two above phrases come in. Insert here.

We left the next morning before checkout time and escaped to the comforts of the gorgeous Mandalay Bay hotel where we were treated like royalty. I took names of the staff who were kind. I plan on writing a note.

We were badly treated. I tweeted about it. No response. 

I've been searching the internet for a place to send my comments about the crappy hotel and the crappy treatment we received as well as the nice hotel and the nice treatment we received. Funnily enough, there are no email addresses listed online for either hotel.

So if you know how I can get in touch with the manager of the Delano Hotel in Las Vegas, please let me know. In the mean time, I'm telling my tale online.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Wow. That totally sucks. Remind me to never go to the Delano Hotel (I've never heard of it, so that won't be a problem...). SO glad the Mandalay treated you two well!