Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Before the Parade Passes By...


So Robert Redford went off and got hitched without me. I wasn't even invited, but I guess if he wasn't going to marry me, it was best that I not be there to loudly protest the oversight. I read a snarky post by a witty young blogger this morning about Redford's marriage. It said that the only people who care about Redford's wedding are middle-age women, who are all now in mourning. To which, I respond less pithily -- you bet your ass we are!

I fell in love with the genre of 'Chick Lit' when I read the first Bridget Jones's Diary a few years ago. I had never read a book that had such an honest tone about modern dating, yet kept me laughing out loud. I was so taken with the book that I sent away to England to get Helen Fielding's two earlier and much less popular novels. Both books were later also released in the United States. Neither one comes close to capturing a zeitgeist the way that Bridget did -- but one of them made me laugh-out loud twice. The plot featured a young woman who was dating a celebrity and didn't have anything to wear to an awards show and ended up in her prom dress that spread out across the laps of the two celebrities on either side of her at the banquet. I'm sorry to hear that they're going to try to make that movie franchise into a triple threat. The first movie was pure genius -- the second was pure dreck!

And then there is this little tidbit about a tragic-comic marriage in Italy. Hmmmm...

No comments: