Friday, October 30, 2009

Beleagured, Bothered & Bedragled

I often dress to match my hair.

At first glance, this little habit doesn't seem like a big deal. But I think that we can all agree that nothing can make a bad hair day worse faster than a bad outfit. That's really bad.

Yesterday, my hair didn't turn out well. I ended up with big poufy 80s bangs and I didn't know what to do with it. So I pulled it back into a ponytail. By the time that I was done, I looked fairly casual. So I dressed like I would've when I was in high school in a T-shirt, jeans, low-heeled shoes and cardigan sweater. There is no need to ask what color. It was black. I can always count on it to match. As my mom says when she looks in my closet, "Who died?" I claim that purple is my favorite color, but black is the one I wear most. It's slimming and versatile. It's become such a household standard that I think you can wear it to weddings as well as funerals these days. I know I do.

Anyway...back to yesterday.

I was dressed in my casual black high school outfit all day. I felt so underdressed. I sat in the old train car on the way home -- the new one was too good for me. And by the time I got home -- I looked pretty bedragled.

In the department I used to work in there was a young man who started wearing ties to work because he said his car was such a clunker that he was getting stopped by cops on the way to work who thought he had been living out of his car. He bought ties. His girlfriend bought him a bowtie and we all fussed over how great he looked everyday when he came to the office. I just heard that he's being promoted.

I need to rethink my dress to match my hair theory.

No comments: