Thursday, March 18, 2010

Baa Baa Black Sheep


Turns out that Shepherd's Pie is made with ground lamb. If you make it with ground beef it's Cottage Pie. Who knew? I was merrily going about my bidness celebrating St. Patrick's Day when I figured out my error in judgment. I had purchased a package of Shepherd's pie seasoning a few weeks back. And when I went grocery shopping this week, I took it with me so I could pick up the ingredients to make the recipe on the back which called for '1 lb. mince.' I bought ground beef, thinking that I was oh-so clever to have deciphered the Brit-speak. How was I supposed to know that 'mince' was ground baby sheep? Do you think maybe because they call it Shepherd's pie? Hmmmm. Yes, the clue bus is a little late to pick up in my neighborhood. I didn't realize the error of my ways until I opened the 'sachet' and was overwhelmed by the smell of rosemary. And what goes best with rosemary...lamb. Ah, well. We had it with ground beef. There were no complaints. At least I remembered to serve it 'piping hot.' Next year maybe I'll try it with ground pork! Hmmmm....yes. And bacon!

No comments: