Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Daily Hot Flash


  • Ah! The memoir of the arrogantly lovely Christopher Plummer -- yes! I want to read it! The seduction of Maria by Captain Von Trapp (as played by Christopher Plummer) in The Sound of Music remains one of the most beautiful (and cheesy like Velveeta) onscreen romances ever. It rates right up there with Casablanca and Notorious in my book. It's Christmas, it's time to dust off your DVD copy and watch it again. (Don't tell me you don't own it!) Is there a plain Jane spinster in the world who isn't holding out a hope of meeting her own surly Captain with a beautiful schloss in the bucolic countryside near Salzburg? Yes, I have a feeling there are a lot of other people who feel the same way. When I was in my twenties, I was a bridesmaid in a wedding where the bride walked up the aisle to the "Maria" wedding processional played on a gigantic pipe organ. It was totally over the top! Why are the bridesmaids smiling as they watch her march up the aisle? More Velveeta, please!
  • Did you read any of these in 2008? Me neither. Why doesn't anyone ever come up with an end-0f-year list of notable trashy books that we devoured like chocolate-covered candies? I read some great chick lit this year -- Kristin Harmel and Jane Porter became two of my new favorite authors. Delicious stories about real women. And did you know that Sue Grafton's latest mystery is out in paperback for Christmas? Yum. Yum. I'm sure the books on the New York Times list are very notable, but I'd prefer a list of books that are as delicious as 'sugar plums.' Maybe the LA Times could do it...or not.
  • One of my favorite little corners of Los Angeles is Tujunga Valley. I didn't know that it had name. Not only is the food at the magical Aroma Cafe fantastic, there's a wonderful little yarn shop just across the street. Oh, and did I mention that Robert Blake popped his ex-wife at the Italian restaurant on the corner? I mean, he 'allegedly' popped his wife...I didn't follow the case and don't know how it turned out...
  • Hello aspiring screenwriters! Here's another news story that is easily adaptable into an action film. All you need to do is attach Bruce Willis and you've got the outline for Die Hard 4: Rough Water...Get thee to the closest Starbucks and fire up your lap top now!
  • He's no Tim Russert...but then those are awfully big shoes to fill. Go Bills!

2 comments:

Jett Loe said...

I love the fact that, according to Plummer, William Shatner owes his career to him. When ya think about it Shatner is sort of a 'poor man's Plummer'! ;)

Anonymous said...

Christopher Plummer was my first celeb crush! I was four years old and watching SoM for the very, very first time.