Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Can I bring you a pie?

This article in the New York Times yesterday tickled my funnybone. After a bank robbery in the Midwest, one of the locals called the bank manager and asked if he wanted a pie. If you're from the Midwest then you understand that the offer of food during times of greatest strife is de rigueur.

When my dad died my mom and I both morbidly agreed that the only pleasant effect would be the possibility that we would both shed a few pounds in our grief. We never anticipated that our neighbors, family and friends would appear on our doorstep laden with hams, potatoes au gratin, cookies, brownies, and I'm certain though I can't remember clearly...pie. Needless to say, I'm still trying to lose the weight I gained after my dad's death twenty years ago.

To this day, when I hear that someone has been struggling with a health issue or a death in the family, my first thought is of food. The recipe file that I have trapped in my demented little mind flips open and I start to tick off what kind of casserole would be most comforting. You can take the girl out of the Midwest...but you really can't take the Midwest out of the girl.
  • Crazy cat ladies of the world, unite! You have not been forgotten by the Internets. It may not be as popular (yet) as the Shiba Inu puppy cam...but the new live kitten cam is up and running for your viewing pleasure.


  • Michael Jackson's Thriller music video is being turned into a Broadway musical. Please insert a snarky and ironic comic comment here. I can't think of one.

  • And by the way, please check out the new book chick at the LA Examiner. She may look a bit familiar.

No comments: