Friday, October 24, 2008

Cinderella Blows


It's time to add another candle to the cake to blow out. This year, Cinderella's thinking of just setting the whole damn cake on fire. I mean seriously, how did I get this old? I knew it happened to other people, but to moi? Tres tragic! I do think I have more to celebrate now that I'm a woman over 40. My mom once wisely told me that at some point birthdays change from being an embarrassment to a victory. I think she couldn't be more right on. I do know that I have found with each passing year that I become more nostalgic for symbols of my youth. I grew up in the 80s and have a soft spot in my heart for John Hughes' films. A filmmaker from Chicago he seemed to speak right to my Midwestern heart when he made films like "Sixteen Candles" about the high school ugly duckling who got Jake Ryan, the cutest boy in school, as her Prince Charming. Girls of my vintage wanted to play hooky with Ferris Bueller, and make-out with Andrew McCarthy in the stables at his very rich parents' Country Club. I thought John Hughes was a genius all the way up until "Uncle Buck". Whatever your dreams are...I hope you're pursuing them today and every day. That is my birthday wish today in the 45th year of my life.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Happy Birthday!

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Happy Birthday! And I grew up on those films, too, back when Kim Catrall was a mannequin instead of a Slut In The City. (saw your headline in the blogher ads).